Software Suspend 2 is a nice system to completely hibernate your computer without need for ACPI or APM. Here are the steps needed to make it work:
- Get the correct version of the system from http://www.suspend2.net matching your kernel version.
- Get the kernel source and configure it for you, compile and setup, making sure it works.
- Run the apply script of the SS2 you downloaded. On 2.6.11 Debian there’s one network interface driver that isn’t present but is in the patch set that is applied. Skip that file and everything should work out.
- Reconfigure the kernel, selecting Software Suspend 2 from the power control section.
- Compile and install the kernel.
- Download the matching hibernate script from www.suspend2.net and set it up. Done.